This blog post is going to be all about my mom and dad. Have I mentioned before that my dad is also my Pastor? Did I also mention that he’s also my boss? Thats right. It’s a triple play. The tri-fecta. 🙂
Working with my dad is something that I love. I really do. Thats why my wife and I have committed to helping him in ministry. We have our up and down days, (mostly up) and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. A lot of (pk’s) preachers kids have a hard time getting along with their parents in a working environment, especially ministry. Our relationship definitely demands a certain type of balance in order to stay healthy and we both work extremely hard to keep things in perspective. Here is the one thing that we both know at the end of the day. We love and trust each other. We’re family. That never changes.
I very much love, respect and admire both my dad and my mom. So I want to take a few moments and honor my dad for the great pastor that he is. I also want to honor my mom for the tremendous woman of God that she is. I am extremely proud of my parents, so here is a list of qualities and characteristics that I love and admire about both of them.
- I love that he still gets excited over a brand new Bible. Especially one that has the right font size and translation. He found a new one this week and hasn’t stopped talking about it.
- I love that my mom prays her heart out. There’s not a day that goes by where I know she HASN’T prayed for our family, me and my family and the church family.
- I love that he loves people. Genuinely loves people. He knows the best way to show that love isn’t just by saying it, it’s by doing what God has instructed him to do…teach them God’s Word.
- I love that she is thoughtful. She’s always taking ladies out to lunch to love on them, and spend time with them.
- I love that he’s strong. I’ve watched people walk away from him, break his heart and still he stands up on Sunday morning and delivers God’s Word with strength, passion and faith. THAT is a big deal.
- I love that she still cares whether or not I eat healthy. I don’t, but that’s besides the point. 😉 She’ll never stop encouraging me to be a healthy person, and that’s a good thing.
- I love that he’s just as passionate about God’s Word today as he was when he started preaching almost 30 years ago.
- I love that after 27 years, she still takes time to cook meals and deliver them to people in our church who have been sick and need extra care.
- I love that he takes great care of his employees. We are paid well, have good benefits and this is a great place to serve/work everyday! New Life Church is awesome!
- I love that she goes out of her way to make people feel special. She works hard planning special events like the “Princess Warrior Event” for breast cancer survivors.
- I love that he believes that NOTHING is impossible with God. It’s a fearless faith. It’s a Godly faith.
- I love that she dances during praise and worship, no matter where she’s at, and no matter whether other people are dancing too. Mom has some moves!
- I love that he takes pride in being a mans man. Dad is a John Wayne kindof guy. This quote sums it up. “I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne – the Shootist
- I love that she is so creative. My mom writes songs, poems and yes even some hip hop. You know what? She’s great at it.
- I love that even though dad comes across like a tough guy, he still sings. Like Elvis.
- I love that she hears from God. God has used my mom to help me make the right decisions so many times I’ve lost count. So has dad. Countless times.
- I love that he’s a coach. Dad went to college to be a teacher and coach before answering the call to preach, but he never quit coaching. He coaches the church to be disciples and he coaches his grandkids in sports. When my son wants to know something about football, I tell him to call or text his pawpaw.
- I love that she has supported him through everything with everything she has. What a powerful example of a woman of God. He wouldn’t be where he is without her either.
- I love that he’s sarcastic. You may not see it all the time, but in the right environment, he’s gonna say something that will get you laughing. I had to get it from somewhere, right!? 😉
- I love that they are both serious about serving Christ with their lives, their marriage, their family and their ministry. They have built their life upon the foundation of God’s Word and have taught us to do the same.
I love that she’s my mom. I love that he’s my dad. I love that they’re my pastors. God has blessed me and my family so much and we wouldn’t be who or where we are without them. God is good.
I love you!