I’m real big on being thankful for everything that God does in my life, both for what I see as well as what I don’t see. God is always at work on us. A daily spiritual habit I’ve developed is to celebrate the small things. I’ve learned to take a little time out of each day and pause in order to reflect and celebrate what God has done. I typically think of the small things that would normally go unnoticed, but are big indicators that God is at work in my life and that I matter to Him. To help you understand what I’m talking about a little better, I’ll list a few personal things I’m thankful for and a few that show how God is at work.
- When I’ve positively lived out Galations 5:22-23 at Walmart
- When I get to work safely, and arrive home safely
- When I look around at what God has accomplished at New Life Church
- When I finish video chatting with my 7 year old son
- When I find a can of Pepsi in my dads office fridge
- When I’ve paid my tithes (Blessed to be a blessing!)
- When I’ve paid a bill on time (His provision!)
- When I go a full day without being negative
- When I find a love note from my wife on my calendar
- This could go on for a while…
Many, LORD my God,
are the wonders you have done,
the things you planned for us.
None can compare with you;
were I to speak and tell of your deeds,
they would be too many to declare.
- When at your job, you don’t make yourself look better by making someone else look worse
- When you’re generous with someone in need
- When you’re a good steward with your paycheck
- When you’re honest at work
- When you end up behind a stupid driver (you’re still blessed to be driving in a car)
- When you don’t lose your temper
- When you come home to hugs from your kids and kisses from your spouse
- When you wake up!